Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Beneath the Streets of Paris

What lies beneath the streets of Paris you ask? Well I'll tell you...


We spent the first half of our day at the Moet & Chandon distillery and the second half of our day walking through Paris' underground. Meg and I split from the other girls at the train station and made our way over to the Catacombes de Paris.


The first part of the Catacombs wasn't bad at all, very educationally actually...













Bain de pieds des carriers translates to "The Quarryman's Foot-Bath" 




Enter the burial grounds 



The underground cemetary holds the remains of around 6 million people.

The heart design though? I'm not so sure about that. 





Meg are you scared?






Water dripping from the ceilings, adding to the already creepy atmosphere.










Look this guy still has teeth! Ew. 



The catacombs was an experience, one that I can say I would definitely never do again. I was thoroughly creeped out. If I had known what to expect I honestly probably would not have even gone, I was slightly uncomfortable. But most people really enjoy the catacombs, something out of the ordinary compared to all the other museums Paris has. When going to the Catacombs be preapred to wait, the lines are extremely long. The museum closes at 5 but the entrance closes at 4. So get there early and do not forget to bring a sweater, the Catacombs are a bit chilly. 

After the catacombs we needed a bit of a pick me up. We headed back to the hostel to find the girls and the champagne... And went to set up a picnic to watch the Eiffel Tower's light show from the Tuileries Garden.

The Louvre Pyramid looks fantastic at this time of night.

Sweet couple hiding from a bit of rain ♥

Just look at that sky!



A previous night Meg and I went on the ferris wheel. It was fun but at 10euros per person for 3 or 4 goes around, didn't really seem worth the price. Maybe during the day would be better when you can see more?






Such a beautifil sunset, and the sparkling Eiffel Tower is just magnificent. The twinkling light show is on the hour for around 5 to 10 minutes every hour, starting at about 9 and going until midnight I believe. A must see in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment