Saturday, August 23, 2014

Italian Love Affair

I may not have mentioned this already but this was Julia's first trip ever going outside of the United States.




We took a few days off after our trip to Provence to rest, go to the beach and gear up for our next big trip! Being that Julia is Italian and we really aren't that far from Italy here in Cannes, we decided to make a day trip of it! We went to Ventimiglia which was about 90 minutes away on the train.  It is the last stop the French trains go to and the first train stop in Italy.  It worked out quite nicely actually. 


The first thing we did in Ventimiglia was have a cappuccino of course! Then after fueling ourselves with coffee we strolled around town with the rest of the Italians.  It was a Friday so Ventimiglia was having their weekly market (^that's where these beautiful flowers are from^) they had everything from clothes to all kinds of food, bathing suits, fur coats, shoes, cheese, pasta you name it! We were too preoccupied with shopping so unfortunately, except for the flowers, I forgot to take pictures of it... After we bought everything we could ever need we moved on to explore more of the town.




Julia absolutely loves ducks!


Love lock bridges are popping up all over Europe these days...





Italian Mona Lisa graffiti


Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta
We went into several Churches, I mean it is Italy...












^Meg reading 




This little church we stumbled on while we were walking to the Church of San Michele Arcangelo, I can't seem to remember the name at the moment.



Sadly the Church of San Michele Arcangelo was closed when we were there.







Chiesa di san Agostino, this church was right in town, but I forgot to take a picture of the outside. I also just realized that I didn't take any pictures with any people in them, including the three of us. Oops, I'm a bad blogger...

The three of us all had a delicious pasta dinner. I had Gnocchi with truffle sauce and mushrooms, it was fantastic.  And of course we shared a carafe of wine.

We went to look for gelato, because gelato in Italy is the best, obviously. But the address tripadvisor gave us did not exist so we never found it. We had to run back to the train so we wouldn't miss the last one and be stuck in Italy for the night, but it was all worth it because we got to see this gorgeous view.

Unfortunately, this is my last post with Julia :( I had several more planned but this past week my iphone, among other things, was stolen from my purse. I'm really upset about it but I don't want to dwell too much on that.  I think Julia had a fantastic trip and I was so thankful that my best friend could come visit us here.  Can't wait to see you when I'm back in the United States!!!

Side note: if your credit card gets stolen abroad don't expect the emergency card they promise to send you within 48hours. My credit card company has not been helpful at all and I 100% plan to change banks when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment